Dr Suzanne Moss
ARTIST | TEACHER | COACH | MENTOR
Dr Suzanne Moss’s teaching career began as a mentor for painters at The Australian National University School of Art & Design during 2006, the outset of her doctoral research on the painting of light. Over several years, she lectured in painting, drawing and Renaissance art history, with course development in drawing, colour and composition, fundamental to her private programs.
Serious illness intervened, and treatment, followed by the sudden death of her partner, early 2012. After a long dark night of the soul, Suzanne began an extraordinary journey of discovery. From being artist-in-residence at Hill End to Tuscany, Italy; from coach training in The US where she realised her ‘method’ of nurturing creativity to developing and presenting mindful art courses in Australia, Germany and a retreat in Florence; from pilgrimages to Iona, Scotland, the galleries of London to The Rothko Chapel in Houston.
Suzanne has poured years of artistic life experience and considerable training into her distilled offerings – holistic programs for restoring one’s imagination, finding solace through art, becoming a painter and making homely, artful sanctuaries.
Pivotal influences on Suzanne’s art practice were the generosity and teachings of artist and peace activist Zen Master Kazuaki Tanahashi while she was artist in residence at his Berkeley studio. Conversations with artist-mentors Miriam Louisa Simons and Deborah Barlow have been profoundly influential and affirming for her, as was the Boston MFA’s resonant exhibition of contemplative art – Seeking Stillness.
Held in national and international collections, including The Embassy of Spain, The Australian War Memorial, The Morrissey Collection (University of Wollongong) and Justin Art House Museum, Suzanne’s paintings have been shown in several solo and many curated group exhibitions over the last 20 years. Most recently, her work was shown in the The Dutch Project and The Women’s Abstract Biennial at West End Art Space, Melbourne.
- The Australian National University Medal in The Honours School of Visual Arts
- The ANU and Embassy of Spain Torres Emerging Artists’ Travelling Scholarship to Spain
- The ANU Graduate Award
- The Canberra Arts Patrons’ Organisation Rosalie Gascoigne Memorial Award
- First prize Instituto Italiano di Cultura Premio Italia’Award
- First prize Queanbeyan-Palarang Regional Council Art Prize
- First prize Acrylics Section Tumut Art Show
- Doctorate in Visual Art (Painting)
- Graduate Teaching Certificate (ANU)
- Journey Accredited Practitioner & Life Coach
- Visionary Leadership Certificate
- Clinical Pastoral Education (Level 1) ASACPEV
A selection of exhibitions & citations:
- The Culturium – Love is a Place 2022
- Women Abstract Artists Biennial – Of Colour & Light 2021
- Hearth, Tacit Galleries, Melbourne 2019
- Canberra Contemporary Art Space, Obsessive Impulsion 2018
- Nancy Sever Gallery Canberra – Make Light of It 2017
- The Distillation of Light: Robert Hunter & Suzanne Moss, Latrobe Regional Gallery 2015
- Dr Suzanne Moss, Painting Light, Touching Space, 2015
- Liverpool Street Gallery Sydney – The Lightness of Flight 2014
- The Art Life Review – The Lightness of Flight 2014
- The Awakened Eye – Listing
Header: Dr Suzanne Moss
Bottom: Dr Genevieve Swifte